SafariHunt
(.333 member)
19/07/05 05:33 PM
Re: lite calibers on dangerous game

I would definetely not tell anyone to go ahead and shoot a buffalo with a 303. But I'm sure it can be done especially now that we we have premium bullets compared to the bullets that has been used in the old days and solids was mostly used. Again also I must state that the 303 was used on large game not for hunting purposes but for survival of food and money (Money from ele tusks and meat to sell from buff) A 303 solid was placed in the lungs of an ele and they would follow up the tracks and find the ele dead the next day. Not very sporting or ethical.

In the end of that day we use big guns and calibers to do more humane kills and in the event of a charge to have enough power to stop and animal. I dunno if it is just me but I'm a fan of big calibers and hunting with them people has laughed at me when I hunt impala and springbuck with my 375 H&H but it punches a neat hole on both sides waste little meat at reduced loads running at 2500 fps with 270 gr sp hornay's. And on plainsgame with the exception of eland I'm not problemized on angled shots as with smaller calibers.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com