NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/12/20 01:51 AM
Re: The Ideal African Hunting Battery

Now for a different sort of answer.

Many of us, most of us, all of us? Are not trophy room collectors, braggies, my trophy room is better than yours. I have more paid for SCI little trophy awards than you!

We hunt for fun. For the enjoyment of hunting. For the adventure. Also to use old decrepit firearms. Old classic cartridges, even black powder.

The Double Rifle Hunter

I have been keen and are becoming keen to concentrate again on double rifles and not much else.

My .450 No.2 Jeffery as above is a given.

I have mentioned ad nauseum the desire for a "modern" (God forbid) scoped medium/lighter big bore double rifle, able to be scoped, and use on both big game and medium game. I have expressed the desire for a side by side modern built QD scoped and also express sighted rifle in say .375 H&H Flanged. Use it exclusively on next to everything where the .450 is not needed. And have such a rifle able to shoot plains game at somewhat longer ranges as needed. Even if only with one barrel.

Now I do have the Tikka U/O 9.3x74R. Perhaps IT could do this job fantastically already! It does lack a bit of style that I would like, but beggars can't be choosers, it exists already in the same.

As mentioned elsewhere, perhaps a custom set of barrels as was discussed on a thread, in .450/400, or .375 Flanged (a bit close to the 9.3), or if really pushing it, a .416 No,2 Rigby set of barrels!!! Getting away from the all round use though.

The Classic Rifle Hunter

Some might choose to go classic. An old vintage Rigbt .275 Rigby. A Mannlicher-Schoenauer in 6.5x54 M-S. A Mauser 98 .318 Westley Richards. Or a .333 Jeffery, .350 Rigby Magnum, or the .375 H&H Magnum. That last one is pretty typical. A .30-06 ?

Maybe chambered in old Rigbys, H&Hs, Jefferys, Mannlichers or Mausers. A single shot Farqhuarson perhaps or similar.

I can feel a real affinity for that sort of safari, using old vintage classic rifles in old vintage classic chamberings.

The Old Elephant Guns

Some say only wannabes, newbies and pleb use the term "elephant guns"?

It has been said on this thread and other recent threads, a good old hunt would be to use a 10-bore double rifle on hippo, cape buffalo and the like.

I COMPLETELY can understand this. I would love to try out my Westley Richards 10-bore on hippo, then cape buffalo. Maybe elephant! That might test the nerves. I think side body shots might work, but what about a brain skull shot?

Give it a try on water buffalo in the Top End first perhaps.

Black Powder

For the true old curmudgeon.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com