NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/06/20 12:37 AM
Re: Most Iconic Rifles and Cartridges from African Safaris

As I posted this on the NE fb group, posting it here.

So far I have used several iconic classic cartridges.

My first safari was with a .30-06 Parker Hale M98. Zimbabwe, also my honeymoon, 1994.

My second safari which included cape buffalo was with a .375 H&H Mag Whitworth M98. South Africa and Zimbabwe. 2001

My third hunting safari, included elephant, hopefully cape buffalo and plains game in Zimbabwe and Namibia,. 2006.

I brought two double rifles, my WJ Jeffery .450 No.2 Nitro Express, and also a 9.3x74R U/O double rifle. If the latter is not a classic African cartridge, it should be.

I also borrowed the Namibian PH's (Karl Stumpfe) Mauser 98 custom rifle in 8x68S to give it a try. Again that cartridge is now 71 years old I think. Not around in the golden safari years pre WW1 or between the wolrd wars but an excellent choice and not uncommon in South Africa and especially Namibia.

Next time, maybe in Mozambique, and hopefully will include cape buff, it will be a hard choice of my .450 NE again, plus maybe a .404 Jeffery Mauser. It can be good to have a scoped big bore in case one is forced to take a shot in a herd. Very carefully only choosing a shot if not other animals will be hit in front or behind if a pass through. And maybe a barrel for my own 8x68S.

Luggage weight is a damned nuisance these days often will no extra allowances.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com