twobobbwana
(.333 member)
21/02/20 11:50 AM
Re: plains game packing list

Quote:

Quote:

I note the comments about "khaki" and recall Buzz Charlton's (?) aversion to it but cannot agree.

It works where I hunt in mostly dry Aus and it seemed to work quite nicely in wintertime Low veldt Zim............from Shamva,Lions Den, Zvishavane to Devuli.

I believe the vegetation colour to be similar given the climate so can't see the problem.

I could imagine that it would not suit wet season jesse - nor the rainforests of CAR - but I've never noticed any issue in dryer mopane country. I've not noticed game spooking due to me being highly visable.

I'm not about to bring into question Buzz's experience, loved his elephant hunting dvds, but just can't agree with him on this.............I'm sure Mr Charlton's sleep will not be at risk should he become aware of this.

I'd look forward to arguing the point over a few Castles, Bollingers, Zambesis or good duty free whiskey.............I'm sure I'd learn alot from him.

There is Khaki and Khaki.

British army Khaki is fine. It is more of a olive tan.

American khaki or online shop khaki can sometimes be a whitish colour. Sticks out like a sore thumb in the Africa bush especially in the South where the mopane forests give a background of black/dark trunks.

East African countryside/hunting in the old days was often on open grassy plains. So not so obvious.

The light green/olive/brownish tan colour is fine.

Olive drab/green is also good. US army olive drab is again not olive, but a dark forest green.

My experience is based on faded khaki cotton........don't think I've intentionally owned an "olive" shirt.

People should check the legality of camo clothing in the country where they are hunting. It wasn't legal when I hunted in Zim.

My last trip I shot solely with my 300 Wby takedown without complaint. Fantastic cartridge and the convenience of a takedown. I've never bothered with anything in .30 above 180gn.

As I've never shot over about 100 - 125 yds in Africa trajectory (.30/06,.300 wby, 375 H&H) has never been a consideration ............the Kalahari may present you with longer shots but remember even a 375 H&H shoots pretty flat.......even with 300gn bullets.

I've only ever carried one bullet weight per rifle (300gn .375 & 180 gn .30) I like to keep it simple.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com