Ripp
(.577 member)
21/02/20 10:04 AM
Re: plains game packing list

Quote:

Quote:

thanks for all the help its a lot to digest. i'm not much of a camo guy i have a couple of old school green jackets post slant pockets and tan under shirts i use when i hunt here in fla.would like to go for a couple of larger animals like eland.so thought a larger bullet is in order wasen't really wanting to all the way to africa and hunt game the same size we have here. i have a 7mm ultra mag but not sure they make a bullet that's effective enough on bigger game.although it worked on elk a couple years back. ripp was looking at.the clothing u suggested might try some for around here.

250 or 270 gr Spitzer bullets of good construction are fine for any thin skinned African game including eland. Not need for a 300 gr. I use a 300 gr for anything because I was hunting buffalo. And have never developed a lighter bullet load for my .375 ... should get around to it oneday ...

A 7mm with a 175 gr projectile with proper aimed shots is fine for eland. If hunting small to large, I would use a very good 160 gr bullet. Better to stick to one bullet if possible. If they shoot to a similar point of impact well ...

I shot my eland with one shot (and an insurance shot) with my .30-06 with 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Used my .30-06 and either 180 gr or 200 gr Nosler Partitions for everything.

--

175 GR Swift A-Frame would do an incredible job..I shot my last 2 Elands with A-Frames --one with my 300 Ultra-Mag... using 200 Gr A-Frames.. eland ran about 30 yards and tipped over.. 2nd one with a .375H&H --275 GR A-Frames, it was about a 125yard running shot..him him twice through the front shoulder, 2nd shot he flipped end over end..after the shooting was over there were 2 adult mail lions standing there, they were after him which is why he came running out of the brush... Years ago shot my first eland with a 400gr A-Frame out of my 416, dropped on the spot.. completely exploded his heart.. Think I posted a pic on this site somewhere recently..

Anyway, your 7mm RUM would work great... I have every RUM caliber invented.. have used my 7RUM on numerous elk, hammers them..If it tips over elk, it will tip over anything in Africa..

I have 175gr A-Frames laoded in my 28 Nosler right now.. used it last season.. performed perfectly.. with near 90% retention...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com