NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/02/20 07:09 PM
Re: plains game packing list

Quote:

EXOFFICIO...have worn their long sleeve on every African hunt I have been on.. keeps bugs off and not sticky like cotton as you sweat..

https://www.exofficio.com/mens/

Which shirt? I don't see any safari shirts.

I have been wearing the Cabelas Serengetti Safari shirts, long sleeve and long sleeve for over twenty years. Have lots of them, some falling to bits. Others in good condition, and all in between.

Originally these were available in dark green, the best colour, but the cloth was softer and less durable. Made in South Africa. Discontinued.

Re-released. Probably made in Asia somewhere. New design with baggy external pockets. Some stupid colours. The green was a fluorescent light colour. A yellow. A light blue. The cotton was a thicker harder wearing fabric. Much better.

Another design change. Better breast internal pockets. The pockets are doubled up. One side a large side zipped pocket internal with a button pocket on top. The other side a top zipped pocket with button pocket on top. The zipped ones are useful for a largish smart phone. Just. A small pocket on the upper arm.

I stopped buying the fluorescent greens. A sand or khaki / tan colour is the best for hunting. I have some of the blue ones for tourist travelling, great for travelling with the pockets, but blue was less a "khaki" man.

I see Cabelas has discontinued them again!

I MAY seek out a custom shirt maker and see about my own design. Slightly larger pockets for those smart phones. Better colours for hunting. The Nitro Express colour brand. If an Adelaide custom shirt maker won't be cheap. They usually make business shirts. If they are still around. Maybe a trip to Bangkok or Hong Kong one day. Should fit perfectly.

RM Williams used to make 'bush shirts" which were good. Stopped making them many years ago when they became more urrban.

I'm wearing Cabelas Serengetti tan LS shirt now, and seven pocket tan trousers as well. My normal farm 'safari' wear.

For my plains game only hunt, I took a .30-06.

The next trip included buffalo so I took a .375 for everything.

Next trip included elephant so it was my .450 NE DR and a 9.3x74R DR, Borrowed Karl Stumpfe's M98 8x68S in Namibia for plains game. Th 9.3 for some of the warthog.

A hell of a lot of plains game areas have no dangerous game, maybe hidden leopards which if you are lucky you might see some tracks in the sand. No need for a dangerous game rifle for most plains game only hunts. The best plains game hunting areas have no lion, as lion reduce plains game numbers immensely. Kalahari hunting may have lion somewhere, but you will be LUCKY to see any.

Some plains game ranches in some countries may have rhino, some buffalo, some elephant. Not the usual ones. Namibia unlikely unless in BG areas.

Take a .375 if you want to. For the romanticism.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com