Ripp
(.577 member)
18/02/20 12:31 PM
Re: plains game packing list

Quote:

I will disagree with Ripp here. The clothing needs to be light and breathable. Most if not all synthetics do not cut it. My preference is hemp ( if you can get any hemp clothing), wool, then cotton/polycotton. Hemp is very hard wearing and it does not stink at the end of the day. Wool is warm as well as cool, does not stink at end of day but holds onto the sweat if not thin but is not overly hard wearing when thin. Well cotton is cotton, this includes canvas.

Bamboo wicks the moisture away from the skin until it is full of moisture then it holds it. Takes ages to dry. Not a good option. Some synthetics wick moisture away, others don't. Some that do, allow the moisture to evaporate easily other do not. Sorry don't know which do and do not.Ripp please chime in on this

I normally start with a thin woolen undershirt if it is cool or going to be cool and then a thin loose fitting Cotton/Poly cotton shirt with long sleeves. If it is going to be warm then one or the other. Long sleeve if going to be in the sun a lot. I normally wear long heavy cotton trousers no matter the temp unless I have tanned up my legs so I don't get sunburn legs. Mainly applicable if riding in vehicle for a while to get to hunt area. Also reduces cuts, scratches massively when in thick country. Also when in very hot areas if you have to arse crawl, monkey or leopard crawl they make life a lot easier.

Check out the link Ripp posted that will give you some idea of the clothing.

My issue with the looser cotton was the wait-a-bit thorn.. always catching and snagging when trying to sneak in on game.. the last few times I wore more of a Under Armor shirt.. I had a looser cotton/poly blend on and would wear when first starting out hiking.. long sleeve as you stated..but as the hike and day progressed I would have just shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt on.. yes, you can and do get cuts, scrapes, etc when out and about with shorts..so if that is unacceptable then wear the pants.. Actually the ones I normally wear are zip off's.. again, pants until about 10AM then zip off the bottom and go with the shorts .. keep the bottom legs in your pack..if you don't come back to camp for lunch, can zip them back on as it cools in the evening..

Wait-a-bit thorn
https://www.google.com/search?q=wait+a+b...93&dpr=1.05

I do like wool..for early mornings and late evenings... wear wool here in Montana all the time.. even in our cold climate during elk season.. if I want to keep warm, I put on the wool.. have had the same wool hunting shirt for over 20 years... WOOLRICH.. great shirt...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com