Ripp
(.577 member)
06/01/20 03:09 PM
Re: Frist African Safari-- 375 vs 416 vs 458???

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe your African safari is just a dream at this stage, but you can make it a reality. In fact, I recommend you do. The cost is much less than a guided North American mule deer or elk hunt. So why not edge closer to your dream safari by deciding which African cartridge/rifle you’ll shoot?

This is true and well worth doing. Particularly for plains game. But NONE of these cartridges are needed for plains game. Add something dangerous and that price comment no longer applies. Also there can be a wide range in prices, from to me unaffordable, to affordable. But is the quality the same, from some free ranging wild hunt for plains game, to a medium sized fenced block where every animal in it is specifically known.

I don't understand why the .416 Rem is included in the article but not the .416 Rigby.

None of these are needed for PG..but, unless I am in a high fence area (unlikely)..I will never have less than a .375H&H on me while out and about hunting in areas like Zimbabwe or other naturally open hunting concessions..even if my main quarry is PG..Each to their own, personally have had more than one close call..and yes the PH was with me and was caught just as off guard as I was..I also trust my shooting more than someone else's..again, each to their own..I have seen alot of PH's shoot..some are good, some, not so much

The article does touch a bit on the 416 Rigby..discussing how the ammo is double or more in cost then the Rem..plus you can get more rounds typically in a Rem than Rigby ..

Think the article is more so focusing on your first safari and thus looking at lower costs..hence the paragraph quoted above discussing costs to Africa vs N American hunts

Contact Us NitroExpress.com