NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
14/10/19 06:26 PM
Re: Karen Blixen's House in Karen, Ngong Hills, Kenya

Sad if that is the case. Not unsurprising. Even though Karen Blixen was held in high regard by the black Africans due to her altruism towards them, I wonder if the modern black leadership and gov't gives a stuff about that. Letting their countries fall into ruin seems par for the course to me.

I visited Kenya in 1988. The suburb then was not countryside, but largish blocks of housing. Seeing the Presidents sister lived nearby probably an affluent area. Walking there I remember walking through large fields on the road, it was not solid urban housing. The Blixen House/Museum was located in its own park grounds. Certainly the suburb was no longer big farms and wild bush lands. When Blixen's land was sold when her families company went into bankruptcy, it was sold to Remy Martin, who sub-divided the several thousand acres into smaller blocks and houses. Since then these blocks have been sub-divided further into urban housing blocks.

The girl who took the photos I believe took them sometime in the 2000's as well.

Africans are not known for their high standards of care and diligence. Reading Blixen's writings, she even records they dislike boredom and routine. So perhaps she was in agreement with my assessment.

I decided to listen to Out of Africa on audiobook, again, last week. Still doing so. It is very different from the movie. The book is not truly non fiction, as some of the stories are 'stories' and fictional. Written as non fiction though. I guess the author Blixen also disliked boredom.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com