NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/10/19 03:38 AM
Karen Blixen's House in Karen, Ngong Hills, Kenya

I visited this house in 1988. Travelling to Kenya from London, and after Kenya through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, then back over to Botswana and back into Zimbabwe this time from the SW. Ran out of money and did not get to South Africa.

The suburb of Karen is about twenty kilometres outside of central Nairobi. I took a manatu, a bus, out to there, it needed a change. Missed the change and arrived end of the road. The driver asked me where I wanted to go, and told me this time where to get off. Turned out to be the side of an empty road. Another bus might stop there. It was maybe seven kms more so just decided to walk it.

I arrived at the lovely house and gardens. Paid the entry price and spent a lovely afternoon there. Had no idea how to get back to central Nairobi. Hoped to catch a ride on a tourist group bus. No such luck. Saw some Kenyans walking down the road and voila, a bus stop. After a while another manatu arrived and it went all the way back to town. Some African girls sitting behind me thought it was very funny to touch my non black non curly hair, which was very different to every else on the bus.

I have a great many transparencies/slides of my visit. And some brochures, booklets etc. No idea where they are packed away. So pinched these images and descriptions from the net.

One day I will scan thousands of transparencies and relive these old travels.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com