NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/07/19 02:33 PM
Re: Hunt prices --$4,000 Sable...cheap??

Quote:

Quote:

Back in 1972, when I spent three weeks hunting in Tanzania, my bag included:
2 Elephant
5 Buffalo
1 Lion
1 Leopard
1 Sable
1 Kudu
2 Impala
2 Hartebeest
3 Wildebeest
4 Zebra
2 Warthogs and
2 Permits (including one for my photographer friend, who confined his shooting to his Nikon)

The total came to 19,220.-- Tanzanian shillings or, at the rate of 6.999 shillings to the dollar, $2746. The sable was 900,-- Tanzanian shillings or $128.59.

Those were the "good old days"!

WOW..
Fast Forward 2008--Zimbabwe

Lion
Leopard,
Croc
Hippo
Tuskless
Hyena
Bush Buck
Baboon
Price $55,000. USD

Not sure what that would cost today, but guessing MORE..

I would guess it would be several hundred thousand for the Tanzanian game bag of 1972 today. My guess at least $250,000.

One reason such a safari is beyond most mortals bank accounts today. Tanzania in general is. A reason a lot of us hunt or have hunted Zimbabwe, Mozambique for bigger game, and Namibia and South Africa for plains game.

Someone please invent a time machine ...

But as I have said in the past, the invention of the passenger airplane and affordable air fares changed African safaris. For the "common man". In the "golden years" yes, game bags were relatively cheaper and far more filled with numbers and species of game animals. BUT a man (or woman) had to board a ship, pay for all the "board" of an extneded sea voyage, then the weeks in country, and then the extended voyage back. Usually a minimum of three months. For a working man, impossible to take off three months off work. Would mean quitting your job, retirement. For a common bloke, about the only way was to head over there to look for work. Perhaps in the safari industry itself.

On the other hand, one COULD make a living, even savings, from the hunting industry. John Dawkins in his book writes about hunting for ivory as a living. Even if a game licence only included two or four elephants, it seems to have been common practice for people, eg Indians, to take out a licence, and need sub-contract it to people such as Dawkins for a share of the ivory sale. A successful hunter could make a living and also substantial savings to bring home to retire on.

Nowadays a short hunt can be done in less than 10 days including travel. And for many plains game hunt, not out of the reach of most hunters, if they save and make the effort to do it. And well worth doing at least once on a persons life.

After all just ignore the marketing hype, not buy three dozen "essential" new rifles and brand new super duper calibres/cartridges, that old .30-06 will still do it all for plains game.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com