Postman
(.375 member)
01/06/19 10:56 PM
Re: Close Encounters with Buffalo--using a double??

My first time was during the last week of June, first week of July. The temps were cold during the morning with a pleasant 28 degrees C mid afternoon. This time it will be the last two weeks of September so I expect it will be damned hot.

There are a tremendous number of buffalo in this particular concession, being situated between two national parks on the border with Botswana. It’s the south west corner of the Caprivi in the Wuparo conservancy.

Funny you didn’t see an elephant when you were there. We ran into a herd estimated of somewhere around 70 on the first day, and kept running into smaller groups the entire time. Their trumpeting was a loud feature in the middle of the night while trying to sleep. When we were tracking my injured buffalo, (yes I screwed up the first shot) we had an instance where an elephant was blocking our progress forward and one of the trackers had to make a tremendous ruckus to drive it away so we could continue through the papyrus swamp on the buffalo track. I must say, one does not appreciate the true huge size of the African elephant until one sees them in the wild with no zoo fences or moat between the observer and the elephant!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com