Ripp
(.577 member)
08/04/19 09:19 AM
Re: The 9.3, not the .375 shld be min. caliber for African DG

Quote:

I’ve used my SxS Merkel in 9.3x74R on several caribou and whitetail deer. It works very well and does not generate a tremendous amount of blood shot meat and recoil is present but pleasant. The slower velocity and relatively heavy bullets work wonders. Mine clocks at 2400 FPS using 250 grain TTSX with near single hole regulation at 50 yards..... It will absolutely do the job but I personally think it is on the light side for cape buffalo particularly if things go pear shaped, but a textbook broadside lung shot would without question equal a dead buffalo. I sure would NOT feel comfortable with less than perfect raking shots.

Craig Boddington has about a million more times experience and knowledge than I, so if he says it’s ok for buffalo, then I am not qualified to contradict him, but for me and my skill/experience level, I want just a little more horsepower on tap. As a MINIMUM DG caliber, I expect that it does meet that specification given that is the metric being discussed.

--

Agree--with this and the comments of others on this post.. have used .375H&H along with the .416 Rem on buffalo.. much prefer the .416... YES, they both kill, but, in my experience, the difference is very noticeable...
--

Ripp,
You have a great sense of humour mate - good dig!
The RWS cases for the 9.3x64 can be rather expensive, but they are of the highest quality & have lasted many years & MANY reloads.
Its a shame that more rifle manufacturers don't have it as an option - it seems to be like the forgotten middle child!

YES, and that sense of humor as been getting me in trouble for a very long time now.. all the way back to the nuns at the Catholic School days..
--

BTW--I do see Sako still offers a few models in 9.3x62 as well as a 9.3x66 (sako) caliber..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com