mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
27/05/05 10:50 PM
Re: Well, I made it back.

Thanks for the welcome back. It was a great hunt! As you know, I was hunting with Vaughan Fulton, of Fulton Classic Safaris, www.fultonclassicsafaris.com . Camp was very nice. It was a tented camp which sat in a beautiful valley overlooking a dry river bed. The tents were huge, and equipped with brand new hotel style beds with box spring bases and mattresses! The tents also had a writing table and wardrobe. Outside, but attacged to the rear of each tent was a bathroom with flush toiled, sink and shower. Hot water was provided by a donkey boiler which was fed by a 500 gallon water tank that was filled by a solar powered pump. Lighting around camp was from Tiki style, oil lamps, and solar powered lights. A generator was provided to recharged camera batteries, etc. The meals were excellent-3 hot meals a day were provided, and Vaughan provided bottled water and sodas in a cooler box while you were out in the field. Trophy care appeared to be first rate.

This was a true fair chase hunt on over 860,000 acres of a Himba Tribal Conservancy. Vaughan allows no shooting from the vehicle, or near water holes. The game populations are high, and the animals are in excellent physical condition as this past rainy season produced record rain fall. In fact, the grass in this area is usually @ 12 inches high, but due to the record rains, the grass was very thick, and over the hood of the truck in all areas.

I want to add, that this area is ideal for someone looking to take a Mountain Zebra without having to climb mountains. Most of the Mountain Zebra here are found in the valleys, and there are many, many zebra to hunt. The largest Kudu were still up in the mountains, but with the rut coming on, the will be coming down into the valleys and river bottoms by the first part of June. Eland, Springbok, and Gemsbok are all over the place! There are many Gold Medal trophies there! This is also an excellent Leopard hunting area. Vaughan has a Leopard hunter coming in two weeks, and 3 or the 4 baits he has out now, are being hit actively. These are big cats too! We saw many, many tracks daily, and had one pass through camp one evening.

If anyone has any questions, drop me a pm.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com