Louis
(.375 member)
15/07/18 08:54 PM
Re: Some vintage African photos

Following up on Lancaster's map of 'Africa Orientale Italiana', please find below an Africa colonial map that I have in my home office

This map is a school map and similar maps were available in all French classrooms until the mid-60's. Although this one is not dated it is for sure post 1936 (as Ethiopia is already mentioned as Italian) and pre-1943 (as Lebanon and Syria are still mentioned as being under French Mandate 1923-1943).

Of interest is that at that time only two countries i.e. Egypt and Liberia were independent in Africa; Egypt since 1922 (after being part of the British Empire) and Liberia since 1838 (although re-migration of former African American slaves to Africa by the American Colonization Society had started from 1822).

Africa was at that time shared by the British, the French, the Portuguese and the Spaniards. Germany, another big player in the 'Scramble for Africa' had had their African colonies i.e. Cameron & Togoland (now Cameroon & Togo), Sud West Afrika (now Namibia) and East Afrika (Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania (then called Tanganyika), some parts of Kenya and of Uganda) confiscated in the post-WW1 period and administrated from 1922 by the British, the South Africans, the Belgians and the French.

Louis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com