Plains99
(.300 member)
20/05/05 11:49 PM
Re: Will the PH save your life?

Selous moved up with gun advancements as they developed... not so much because of power but because the old blackpowder guns were pounding him to pieces. I hunt with muzzleloaders and I've gone after some pretty big stuff with them. We took a 2,200 pound Indian River buffalo with .50 caliber rifles.... but there was a guy with a .470 double backing us up. And I must say, he was pretty damned nervous when we had to go into the bush after a wounded bull with only muzzleloaders to back him up. And that big fellow took a 600 grain slug through both lungs and was still on his feet 18 hours later when we finally brought him down. I'm sorry the bow hunter is so offended and I certainly don't want to leave the impression that I'm some sort of elitist but honestly... you wouldn't go into a dangerous game situation on the ground with a bow or a muzzleloader if you had an option. I can just imagine my reaction on a Cape buffalo hunt if my PH pulled out his BIG BOW to back me up. "Trick" hunting is a poor choice of terms. "Sport" hunting would be better. There is a difference and we all know it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com