larcher
(.416 member)
16/05/05 05:38 PM
Re: BACK FROM THE CENTRAL AFRICA REP. A wild Safari!

Dear Adam,

Sorry to answer this late.
In the jungle the average distance is under 10 yards. Sometimes you cannot see both your own hands.
On the flood plains 100 -200 yards is the rule.
On the hills where the eland is roaming , 50 -100 yards.

Concerning coming back to Kotto Safari, this safari is what You want but cheap.
I am craving to hunt there next year again. As I got a lion and an eland, now leopard and bongo are high on my list.
Typically, I’d act this way :
Early in the morning (tse-tse time), searching for Bongo tracks. We find tracks of a night wandering Bongo, we follow them, in the murk of the jungle. We have better to catch with the (hopefully deaf, because of our noisy progression) Bongo up before midday. If not, the jungle is then a steaming sauna and we have to let down. I meet a male bongo, I shoot him with the rifle, of course. Such a rarity should not be missed because of a lousy arrow eating branches and foliage.
We fail finding Bongo spoor, then we follow buff or roan spoor and I do my best to arrow one. The arrow option has 2 advantages, sport and stealth.
We fail finding any spoor, we drive back to the camp keeping an eye one the valleys and rivers for waterbuck, wart-hog and bushpig.
In the end of the afternoon, again on the road looking for the waterbuck, wart-hog, bushpig and duikers in case one could be arrowed (stealth).
At sunset 2 options : in a blind (or hide or high stand) either for leopard or for bongo.; either with the bow or the 375HH.

My problem is that this safari is not cheap and worst, I need my cousin along for he is a real asset as a partner. And this year my cousin would prefer a less expensive safari such plainsgame in the South of Africa or in the Burkina Faso. 500grains and ErikD posted Charlton and Mc Callum offers which are really tempting.
A real dilemma.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com