Postman
(.375 member)
05/02/18 11:09 AM
Re: Using .458 Lott for DG AND Plains Game Practicality

So I spent the afternoon today at the outdoor range..... light but steady snow flurries and one degree above freezing....

Anyway brought the chrony.... Interesting readings....

The Woodleigh 400 grain PP SP clocked at 2550 FPS with single digit variances shot to shot.

The Barnes 350 grain TSX clocked at 2250 FPS..... The Varget load I was using is obviously well removed from optimal.

The Swift 500 grain AFrames clocked at 2150 FPS.

And last but not least the Hornady FTX clocked at 2350 FPS although other than going bang, they don’t do much for me in this rifle and particularly in light of Daryl’s commentary can eliminate them as a PG bullet.

After dialing in the scope(I had to change out the Swaro for a S&B PMII 1-8 CQB because the Swaro wouldn’t adjust enough vertically to be in the bull at 50 yards - top of travel and it was 3” low”), I played with shooting the Woodleighs at distance with a 200 yard zero... At 200 yards, I shot the first 3 shot group measuring 1.4” centre to centre and a second group of 1.8” centre to centre. Then I shot at the 300 yard plates and was able to consistently bang the 12” plate for a good 15 consecutive shots with no misses by holding the first subtension wire below the centre crosshair level with the top of the plate.

It would appear that I’m going to be in pretty good shape with the 400 grain Woodies!!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com