Postman
(.375 member)
24/08/17 12:36 AM
Re: Headed to South Africa for Plains Game... again! Tipping?

Given: A tip or gratuity is never a "fixed" amount, nor is it guaranteed.

I understand an acceptable tip is 10% of daily rate to the PH, so for a 10 day hunt at $400 / day rate, one would give a total tip to the PH of $400 at the end of the trip. For the staff, it would be another $400 divided by the number of staff, so for a camp of 8 staff, each staffer would get $50 each.

On a DG hunt, the percentage would be the same resulting in the dollar amount of tip being higher, e.g. If the daily rate is $1500 instead of $400, then based on 10% of the daily rate, the tip would be $1500 at the end of a 10 day hunt for the PH and $1500 divided by the number of staff, so for a camp of 8, each staffer would get $190 at the end of the 10 days.

In any event, toward the end of your stay, speak with the PH and make sure he is ok with your staff tip plans. He may wish to be with you when you hand out the tips. In my case, I gave the money to the PH and he gathered the staff and counted out each tip and handed each staffer's share of the tip back to me in front of the staff so I could personally put it in each staffer's hand. Remember, it is the PH who must deal with any infighting that inequitable staff tipping may cause, so follow his advice.

Additional small gratuities are also appreciated, whether it be tobacco, chocolate, a new unworn shirt, a box of ammo, etc., but again, ALWAYS check with the PH first.

The tipping adds a bunch of extra cost to the hunt and should be budgeted for as part of the trip. One must be sensitive to the fact that the PH and the support staff rely on tips as part of their income.

Beyond the daily rate, flights, incidental hotels between flight layovers, and trophy shipping associated costs add a bunch more, and then of course the taxidermy fees to round out the fun, so a guided hunt is a very expensive affair all items considered, but the tips are part of that cost.

I too would be very interested in other's views as to the appropriate amount one should tip for an African trip.

One more thought: all tipping in US $......

Contact Us NitroExpress.com