Rell
(.375 member)
09/02/17 12:42 PM
Re: Cameroon 2017

A quick report on my trip to Cameroon Dec 25, 2016 - Jan 11th, 2017.

Getting to Cameroon sucks. NYC - Paris - Douala - Garoua is more hours then could ever possibly be fun.

Bags arrrived 2 days after I did. Luckily I read an article by Craig Boddington years ago that said to bring all you need and a change of cloths in your carry on, glad I did.

Used the camp Win 70 375 H&H for the Buffalo and LDE. Worked fine but sucks not using my Sako 9.3x62.

Hunted with Gauv and Mayo Oldiri in nduelle camp. Old camp but comfortable. Guav is excellent.

Saw eland every day and buff most days. Tones of planes game.

Never saw a great water buck or good western bush duiker but lots of everything else.

Corruption is wild, takes forever to get rifles into and out of country. Bribes are substantial.

Poaching pressure is significant. We saw camps every day and burned them. Found remains of giant topi, warthog, reedbuck, bushbuck and heartebeast. Heard shot guns three times, rifles twice and AK burst twice (The PH said first time he has heard AKs in the north).

Buffalo is quite good, the eland is nice 52 3/4 inches, heartebeast is massive ( I was told it will go top 10 all time), the picture does not do him justice.

Great trip but I'll never bring a gun into Cameroon again and I'll fly with only carry on.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com