McLarenSafaris
(.224 member)
02/04/05 11:24 AM
Re: Where to go for big Kudu?

Finding and hunting a really big kudu is an achievement of a lifetime for some, and a matter of luck or chance for others. There are a few requirements to have really big kudu present in any area:
1. The gene pool of kudu in the area needs to have a tendency to have big kudu.
2. The habitat needs to have all the right minerals & nutrients in sufficient quantity to ensure good growth of horns.
3. A lot of time required for a kudu to grow really old and become a worthy trophy.
While the first two requirements are probably met in a number of areas it is the 3rd that trips up so many areas. Hunting pressure from trophy hunters makes it almost impossible for a PH to have his client pass up an opportunity to get a kudu in the high 50's, even if it is still a relative youngster. I've seen so many young, judged by lack of any real "ivory" and sharpness of the horns, kudu proudly posted as trophies to make me sick. These breeding age kudu should be left to spread the genes required to grow real big horns, but are then harvested by eager clients at the OK of PH's under pressure to produce inches! It really represents a sorry state of affairs.

As hunting outfitter I am constantly on the lookout for concessions where there has been limited or no hunting for a number of years. These come up from a variety of reasons: Former military training grounds, insolvent estates, estates of deceased ground owners where there was a long delay in settling the estate affairs and from a few "old farmers" who did not allow hunting for a long time are a few examples of the possible history of such prime areas. IMHO it is largely at these concessions that were not hunted for many years where a client is likely to get a really worthwhile kudu with thick horns, old long ivory, worn horn-tips and big body with almost bald skin that makes a kudu real trophy in my book!

Just itching to go hunting again.

Andrew McLaren

Contact Us NitroExpress.com