Ripp
(.577 member)
22/08/16 12:31 AM
Re: Travel and the "lost luggage" boogeyman

For myself it has happened 3 times so far and counting..

The last time I went to Zimbabwe my guns sat at the airport in Johannesburg for 3 days while I was in Harare..at $1250. per day of daily rates..that is some expensive rental rates..thankfully I had purchased the help of someone in Johannesburg to assist in gun transfer prior to my departure from the USA, so on the 3rd day I got my guns..not sure what would have happened had I not done that..

Only 3 months ago I flew to Azerbaijan, got there Sat--guns showed up Monday afternoon..

Friend of mine last fall flew to Europe for a hunt..luggage never showed up he had to buy all new gear... boots, jacket, gloves, etc...his original equipment has never shown up yet to this day...so almost a year ago..

Personally I feel it has gotten much worse than it was even 5 years ago..think there are a few reasons for this..but it may all be conspiracy theories on my part..having said that, yes it happens, and happens on a regular basis..I also travel a lot so the more you do the higher the odds go things will happen..

This is the primary reason when I now book a hunt I ask the outfitter what he has for guns. I did NOT take a gun to Europe last year as the outfitter had very nice rifles..and made things go relatively smooth..I am headed back to mid-Asia soon and have to take one there..but, if I had a better option I would NOT take it..

I am headed to Cameron in a few months and will take one along for that as well..but keeping my fingers crossed..

I would make sure you have insurance on the weapons and gear just in case. Not sure if it works the same in Canada as here but I have the equip. I use and travel with scheduled on my homeowners policy. That was it is almost all risk coverage. 99% of the things that can happen to it are covered.

Good luck with your travels, hope it all goes well. I believe in the old saying, Hope for the best but prepare for the worst..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com