NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/08/16 02:54 PM
Re: The first time I saw Africa

xausa,

A dream time and you are one of the originals to have hunted there in the 1970's and in Kenya when it was still possible.

Only this week I was thinking, I was there first in 1988, now almost 30 years ago, or will be in two years time. Thirty years before 1988 was the 1950's and one of the golden ages of safaris in Africa. How it changed between 1950's and 1980's and again to the 2010'. What will it be like in the 2040's? What will be gone? I won't be around to see it though.

To me, the golden ages of Africa, in a hunting sense, were the late 1800's when it was truly unexplored in many parts by European man, then prior to WW1. %he times of the ivory hunter. Then the 1920's and 1930's, the true first golden age of client safaris. The again in the 1950's when Hollywood made safaris famous. But still intrepid guys were able to make money from ivory hunting. Using multiple persons licenses. Persons such as Dawkins, here from SAust.

Each decade or two, the shine seems to slip that much more. Got to get back again.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com