NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
18/08/16 02:46 PM
Re: The first time I saw Africa

First time was not a hunting trip though I wished it would be. Not sure of which month, maybe October (?) or August (?). 1988. Flew into Nairobi. Later travelled through Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, into Zimbabwe, to and fro Zambia and Zimbabwe, then down to Botswana. Re-entered Zimbabwe and flew home. Missed out on travelling into South Africa, but money was getting short. Kicked and till kicking myself for not going out hunting with a Zambia acquaintance and doing some hunting for buffalo, leopard or lion, hippo and some plains game on his or his mates residents permits. Unbelievably cheap, but these guys needed hard currency as well. Planned to come back the next year and do it. Did not manage it for a number of reasons, but also because I had some doubts on how I would get the trophies into Australia. To the UK was no problem, but the Australian gov't at the time was again causing problems. My doubts were what sort of documentation might be available. Now I would do it in a instant, just for the hunting alone. Stuff the trophies.

Next time was my honeymoon to Zimbabwe. Hunted plains game in 1994, plus visited sites in Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Back again in 2002 to South Africa and Zimbabwe, and then 2006 to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia.

Now its 2016 .... long drought in between then and now ... would go again tomorrow if I could.

Keen to visit Kenya and Tanzania again. Visit the NW Frontier of Kenya, Mombasa again, Lamu. The Highlands I particularly liked, maybe the highlands around Mount Kenya. The Lake. Of course such places as Ambroselli and the Maasai Mara, but as historic places such as Tsavo. The Muzzie issues in Kenya make some of this more difficult.

As for Tanzania, would love to hunt buffalo there. But as visit the Serengetti. Did not get there last time, but did get to the Mara in Kenya, the only difference is the border line. Ngorongoro Crater of course, worth visiting again. Would love to get able to walk up Mount Kilimanjaro. Would need lots of exercise and preparation for that though ... Visiting Zanzibar would be nice too, as long as again the Muzzies aren't chopping heads off there again. Even visiting Selous would be great.

Must convince the wife a trip is a good idea oneday. But then less adventurous and more civilised stuff only ...

As for a future hunt. Cape buffalo and other assorted beasts in Mozambique is at the not top of interest list. And from there or elsewhere, Sable and Nyala, plus a host of other stuff. The trophies are the biggest thing, the hunting and safari life is the attraction.

Other dreams ... Uganda, to hunt where Bell walked. CAR. Cameroon. And other wilder places of Africa. My ambition in the mid-1980's was to travel extensively in South, Central, East and Northern Africa. Did get to travel Kenya to Zimbabwe, and later other parts of Southern Africa, but still the dreams of other places exists ...

Contact Us NitroExpress.com