NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/04/16 11:01 PM
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best?

Quote:

I have heard people talk about pressure and extraction problems with R700 in 416 Rem in Africa. However I have never heard this from a person that it happened to. The other thing that puzzles me is why is 40C hotter in Africa then any where else in the world. I for one can vouch that 45c in Australia is just as hot as 45C in Zimbabwe.

Amazing isn't it.

Quote:

I have read the late Ganyana's write up on the PH exam. Very noteworthy in the main. However some of the stuff ups were operator error. That is not being familiar and comfortable with their rifle.

Part of this is no doubt these guys are all newbies, apprentice PHs with rifles that may not have used much or for a long time. No fine tuning or years of hard esperience with these rifles. A large part of it would be due to these factors. If the "survey" was systemmatic and completely objective on the 'results' of the type of firearm, then the results would be more objective. Compared somewhat to personal subjective observation. The skill of the user still plays a big part.

A comment regarding Mk X's / Whitworth's etc, is some of the longer cartridge chamberings such as .375 H&H Mag are a "tight fit" through the loading port. My Whitworth requires the cartridge to be inserted base first at a backward direction before being pushed into the internal magazine. For a 'thoughtless' loading M98 in the heat of the moment a magnum length action is better. Unless the user is thoroughly esed to the particular rifle.

For my own handloads I deliberately seat the projectiles in mice and deep to make the loading of the magazine easier. Some long pointed projectiles can be a problem and require more careful loading.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com