JabaliHunter
(.400 member)
07/04/16 11:24 PM
Re: Elephant culling - what caliber is best?

Quote:

It amazes me when people say the Remington is no good. If this was the case then the US Marines and others would not of used it as the base for their sniper rifles. I personally have never experienced any problems with Remington 700. This may be because I was taught on the SMLE where you had to place the round in the magazine and slide it back into position, not just roll it in with the base already at the rear of the mag. Same method as required for any single stack mag that I am aware of. But each to their own.

It is down to a number of things, which boil down to the fact that the requirements for a culling rifle are more akin to a bolt action battle rifle than a bolt action sniper rifle. Experience led these guys to favour the controlled round feeding and full size extractor claw for reliability under these circumstances, i.e. when a jam or miss-feed could cost you your life. Another factor was some early experiences with the .416 rem in Remington rifles regarding pressure and extraction problems. And if you think that these are non issues today, you only have to see buzz Charltons video where his bolt freezes up after firing at a departing elephant. These guys didn't then have access to countless different choices and options - often big calibre rifles came on the market infrequently when an older guy retired.nso word quickly got around as to what was best to spend your hard earned money on and which ones were rumoured to be less reliable. the late Ganyana's reports on rifle problems on the PH exams also showed up rifle problems that had to be overcome and which ones caused problems.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com