DoubleD
(.400 member)
14/04/15 12:08 AM
SA Cape Buffalo

I just returned from two weeks in South Africa which included a 2 day hunt for a warthog. A number of warthogs were seen, but none were harmed, but that is a different subject and different story.

During one of the evening meals, the talked turned to planning for my 70th birthday hunt in 2018.

As much as I would like, being retired and on a fixed income and with a modest 401K, I just cannot justify the cost of a Cape Buffalo hunt and said as much. $14.5K for over 40 inches and $12K for under is just too much of a stretch for one animal on my budget. On the other hand I would be willing to spend the $4.5K asked for a cow-except I don't want to shoot a cow.

The Outfitter told me he expects to see the cost of Buffalo to come down, and a good deal in SA. There is getting to be a good surplus of the animals in the country and the Parks Department wants to move them. He told me he would not be surprised to see the cost for under 40 inches to go under $7K to $8K. This would be a bit more in my reach-a stretch but I don't plan on financing my kids on my death.

I don't need a big Buffalo head. I would like to hunt a buffalo.

What do you folks think about hunting a smaller "under 40 inch" Buff?

I defer your greater experience and knowledge?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com