Ripp
(.577 member)
18/03/15 12:29 AM
Re: Calibers for Africa- Members' survey

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Favourite would depend on the circumstances. Is the plains game hunting conducted during a dangerous game hunt as well? Then my answer would be different.

First my simple choice for the survey is:

1. 8x68S
2. .450 NE

But not for the survey but as part of a discussion if plains game is hunted along with dangerous game, I would choose:

.375 H&H Mag
.450 NE

The above allows redunancy. If the double is not being held, th .375 will work fine. If a scoped shot is needed, the .375 is also available.

Agree with the 375 for a plains game hunt when in/on a Dangerous game area such as in Zim or Tanzania..will never go on a plains game hunt again in such and area without a .375 or similar..

Having said that, the combo I have shown of 300 RUM and 416 Rem I used have accounted for 72 head of game in Africa..so it works..at least by my standards..this was over 4 hunts and about 3 months in Africa total..which is soon to increase..

Ripp

Ripp, for me my point was less that carrying a DGR was preferable to carrying a plains game rifle in DG country, and more, that having a scope sighted .375 along with a non scope sighted .450 double allowed DG hunting flexibility.
1. Two DG capable firearms, if a problem occurs to one.
2. A scope sighted bolt action .375 is useful at times where a non scope sighted .450 DR is not, eg shooting a buff in a herd, perhaps longer shots.
3. The .450 DR is still preferable where it could be used.
4. The scope sighted .375 is still Ok on plains game type shots.

However if carrying a .375 to hunt a Kudu and that once in a lifetime 50" hard bosses bull buffalo jumps up to run away, you DO have a capable rifle ready to go in your hands instantly ... rather than having to swap it for a different rifle from a tracker.

John,

I agree with that and it makes sense. My point was, based on my experience, if you are hunting in DG areas for plains game, IMHO, leave the 270's at home. The .375 you mention in your scenario is perfect for anything you will encounter, and as you stated, if you bump into a huge buff, you still have the power to drop him as well..

Ripp

Contact Us NitroExpress.com