NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
07/10/14 10:50 PM
Re: Safari Hats - show us yours!

Looking good gentlemen.

My first "safari hat". Worn in Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana and Zimbabwe back in 1988 or 1989.

A simple cotton cloth slouch hat with studs on both sides.

A funny little story.

I was wearing this hat in Malawi and we were camping on the shores on the beach of Lake Malawi. On the way into town one afternoon, I hitched a ride with the others on the truck but got dropped off a few kilometres from the Lake, at some tourist curio stalls at the side of the road, planning to walk back afterwards.

I wanted to buy some souvenirs and curios. First I walked along all the stands, looking over everything the guys had. Of course the Africans tried the hard sell, but I told them I was going to look over everything first then come back to what I wanted to bargain over. They were pretty good and didn't pester me then. I also told them, the truck would be coming back from town in about an hour and then they would have lots of tourists to sell to. That made them happy.

So I looked over everything.

Then went back and started bargaining at the stalls for the stuff I wanted. I remember getting a few things, a "redwood" set of three monkeys, see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil. A "redwood" fish which I planned to giveaway at home. I kept it. A "Malawi warrior" armed very offensively with a multiple of spears, clubs and choppers. Made of ebony and with a beautiful polish in places.

I also planned to trade some old ripped Levi jeans. I needed space in the backpack for one thing.

At one stall I had admired a chess set, but the guys wanted too much for it. They had in turn admired my hat, and the conversation went something like this.

"Buy this chess set, it is only 800 Kwacha!"

"No, No." I replied "it is much too expensive. I can not afford that."

"Give us a price, we can bargain" the guys said.

"No, I can't afford it, or carry it, it is too expensive" I said.

The two Malawians said: "We like your hat, trade your hat, and you can have it for 700 Kwacha."

"Oh no" I replied, I need the hat, it is hot and sunny and I will faint in the heat without my hat!" I replied.

We bargained for another of their items, and made a deal, and they came back to the hat and chess set.

"We really like you hat, 400 for the chess set and the hat."

I replied again, "I have many more weeks in Africa, and need this hat until I leave."

So it went on, when they got to 25 Kwacha and the hat, for the chess set. I said "YES!!!".

They laughed and said, "On NO, we are not serious, it was a joke. But you would sell the hat" they laughed.

I knew they weren't serious either, so just laughed as well.

Walked back to the Lake with a full daypack.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com