eagle27
(.400 member)
26/03/14 05:35 PM
Re: Cape Buffalo vs Asiatic Water Buffalo Hunting

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Angus! I'm still trying to make up my mind. If I go to Africa, I'll have to wait a year or two. I can afford Australia now. That's the dilema.

Eagle makes fair and compelling arguments, but I would still absolutely urge you to wait the year or two and do Africa. Given you're on a budget, I can make no higher recommendation than Touch Africa Safaris, Zimbabwe. I hunted with them in 2010 and it will be the experience you're after, no question, and presently a Cape Buffalo hunt can be booked for $9,000. The Cape Buffalo is substantially more dangerous than the Asiatic Buffalo, there is zero question on that, watch the plethora of Cape Buffalo killing Lion videos. They are a true beast, and likely kill more hunters and PHs than any other commonly hunted animal. That is still a very small percentage, but they are true dangerous game and demand enormous respect. There's something very special in that.

Would not disagree that Africa should be the ultimate goal for buffalo and other uniquely African game and as I said, that is on my bucket list, but I would not be planning a hunt based on which is the most dangerous beast to hunt as under the normal hunting conditions in both countries now where a PH dictates proceedings and will only likely allow you to shoot a standing animal once a clear shot is available, the actual stalking and shooting of a buffalo in either country seems much the same.

Aussie buffalo have killed and injured people too and I certainly would not want to corner one where it had to fight instead of flee. As to hunters and PHs getting caught, yes more in Africa but like car accidents it is usually statistically related to numbers on the road or in this case numbers hunting rather than the attention or nature of the beasts themselves. Having lived on a large cattle and sheep farm I know that Hereford cattle wintering over in rough blocks can be vicious and vindictive animals and I've seen many a dog, horse and man hurt by these animals when decide they are not going to be pushed around.

For your outlay, to be able to stalk in close and shoot more than just one buffalo or maybe even lots if you take up a culling shoot, has to be good value. Yes for me to take my 404 back to Africa and to say I have been there and hunted will be great, but to follow up a herd of buffalo, pick out a suitable beast (one is all I could afford) whether trophy or just an old dagga boy who is on his last legs and pop him with one shot while he is standing minding his own business is not exactly mind blowing in itself and the chances of an exciting charge is no more present than if I was shooting in Aussie or a Hereford bull on a farm.

Yes by all means if you can really afford Africa go for it but I can guarantee that a trip to the Aussie outback will be exciting, interesting, and god forbid if I admit it, the Aussies are superb company (having also worked there).

Contact Us NitroExpress.com