shakari
(.400 member)
09/01/05 05:03 PM
Re: Black Death Charges

4seventy,

I wasn't in fact referring to MS particularly. We get sent lots of videos/cd/dvd's from video companies to show us how good (or bad! ) their camera work is and many of them show the PH & client doing just that..........but IMO it is stupid. There's danger enough (certainly enough to still give me a huge buzz even after doing it for about 25 years) in following up wounded DG without silly grandstanding.

As far as I'm concerned the client is to some degree paying for an expensive type of adventure holiday......but still a holiday. Risks come as part of the package but stupid risks should not. A good Professional Hunter should be Professional in every sense of the word and (IMO) that should include the ability to assess and deal with risk factors..........Looking at it another way, a PH only needs to make one single mistake which results in a client being badly injured (let alone killed) and he's lost his entire reputation and business for ever.

I'm not a lawyer and don't know much about insurance policies but I also have my doubts that an insurance policy would pay out to a hunter who had been beaten up by a big wounded animal if they knew he had been parading about in front of that animal when he or the PH should have been putting in an insurance shot.

Yes, I'm sorry. With regard to the comment of hunting in a team. I should have stipulated in Africa. A good PH should be able to do every job in the hunting area if needs be, but no-one can track and look out for a wounded animal (in thick bush) at the same time and a good tracker is worth his weight in gold.

I've never hunted Oz, but would LOVE to and I'd be very interested indeed to see how things work out there. Maybe one day I'll find the time and money to give it a try. The really dumb thing is that many years ago I had a standing invitation to go and hunt on my uncle's properties over there and never took him up on his kind offer........

Contact Us NitroExpress.com