Deutsche_Vortrekker
(.333 member)
14/04/13 11:28 AM
Re: W.D.M. Bell

I remember when I was a kid growing up in Montana the State Fish & Game commission did a survey among hunters pertaining to the Elk kills and how many shots it took a certain hunter to kill his Elk and the caliber of his rifle .It included hits misses and followup shots.The far worst were the magnums ;338 and 7 Rem Mag being the worst(between 8 and 9 shots per Elk). The 30-06 did very well but the winner by a large margin (just a bit over 1 shot per Elk was the 300 Savage.This survey showed me #1 the 300 Savage kills Elk very well (my Dad used this caliber and never needed more than 1 shot; #2 Big magnum rifles used by most folks (whether they admit it or not) cant shoot them very well.#3 Large flat shooting cartridges make hunters take longer shots at game than they ordinarily would resulting in misses and wounding of an animal. As long as the bullet is of reliable construction ,moderate calibers kill large animals quite well .Bell proved this theory to a fault.Of course Bell knew how to shoot and knew his quarries anatomy perfectly.And Bell was not the only great Hunter to use the 7x57 ,J A Hunter of Afrikan fame used one and Jim Corbett killed many of his man eaters with his 275 Rigby (quite similar to Bells)Finn Aagaard also preached this . Remember the cattle killing lions and leopards and the Cape Buffalo his friend killed with his BRNO Hornet in Kenya.I use exactly this rifle (ZKW BRNO Hornet) to hunt deer on my friends large ranch.I have killed many many large bucks with this little cartridge and have never lost one.I have never taken a shot over 90 yards and make sure of the ones I do take .Not all are head shots either.My point is learn to hunt . Don't make the mistake of substituting equipment for skill. Make sure of your shots .Use a rifle you know you can handle and practice .Do not take long shots as so many variables make wounding and losing an animal more likely.I do not own a magnum and never will.The 9.3x62 is an accepted minimum caliber for most countries in Afrika so no excuse there for dangerous game.In countries like Namibia the 7x57 meets the joules limit perfectly .What was good for Bell has always served me quite well.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com