mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
29/03/03 02:55 PM
Re: And Eland

This is a very old Cape Eland bull, that I was fortunate to take late in the afternoon of my last hunting day near Matlabas, RSA. I owe the recovery of this Eland to the incredible skill of my tracker, Willem, shown with me in the picture. My first shot at the bull was taken while the bull was facing me from over 100 yards. It was with 2 other bulls, and several cows. My initial shot hit slightly left of the dew lap, and it turned and ran off into the thick brush. To make a long tracking job short, in the 2 hours we tracked the bull, there were only 2 very, very, very small spots of blood on the ground. I don't know how Willem was able to follow it. At the end, he simply pointed into some brush, said something to my PH, and my PH told me to get ready. We pressed on another 30 yards or so, and the Eland erupted from the cover and crossed in front of us nearly broadside. At the shot, the bull collapsed in its tracks. My shot had entered just below the ear. As I've said in other posts, I'd rather be lucky than good.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com