DaggaBoyBlog
(.275 member)
24/12/12 04:59 PM
Re: Question for the Cape buffalo hunters re: PH b-u shots...

Quote:

Quote:

The only shot I got at a bull in Zimbabwe a few years ago was a going away shot when they got wind of us. The bullet went just left of the anus and dropped the bull on the spot, coming to a stop at the back of the lungs.It had smashed the pelvis and destroyed the liver on the way through. I raced around and brained him with the second shot, fairly instinctive at the time.

My friendly PH insisted on putting a couple of holes in the bull himself and gave him two rounds broadside in the shoulder, about 8" apart as one deflected after going through a tree from about 15 yards! Definitely more testosterone than sense some days!

I've always found a liver shot, usually co-lateral damage, a good one for sickening an animal and usually dropping it quickly but here is another example of a PH shooting when not necessary, and obviously from your comments, when not wanted. If the client wants to expend some ammo and empty his magazine or double into his downed animal then fine he is paying for that privilege, as for the PH doing this, piss off.

I used a RSA PH and we traveled to Zim and hunted with a local PH, I wouldn't do it that way again but I knew a guy and it was the easiest way to arrange things at the time. So the local PH had the local knowledge and my traveling PH played back up to the back up which meant he didn't get hugely involved in the running of the camp or any part of the safari. I guess this was his way of getting involved. Bit of extra blood in the photos but no harm done as the bull was dead!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com