NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
09/12/04 11:41 AM
Re: Is bigger really better?

In reply to:

Looks like this must be "Bag a PH Week"!

Two comments only so far?

Re: the South African tyro PH tests. I would think the main time a PH is expected to shoot with a client is 1) physical danger, and maybe 2) when a animal is to escape.

On a pure plains game hunt maybe a PH will get away with carrying a medium calibre such as a .30-06 or .270. Probably this is only the case where there will be no dangerous game present during the hunt. Perhaps for a plains game hunt they shouldn't carry a rifle at all as the client should be responsible for dropping the odd antelope or them escaping if not.

My limited personal experience with PHs has seen a PH or guide carrying:
1. Nothing - a deer hunt;
2. Nothing - a plains game hunt;
3. a .338 Win Mag for a plains game hunt;
4. a .243 for a plains game hunt - where it was a mate hunting with me;
5. a .458 Win Mag for a plains/buffalo hunt where dangerous game was likely to be present inaddition to buffalo;
6. a .458 Win Mag for a buffalo hunt.

My point is for the South African tests is if in a real situation the PH will be using a bigger calibre for EXACTLY the situations they are testing for, why are they allowed to use medium calibres, just because it is EASIER to pass that way. In reality many of these guys may not own a larger bore yet. Another point which I will not go into (otherwise more claims of bagging PHs ).

As for the relevance to this thread. Using the medium sized calibres and not even smaller big bores, allows these students to shoot more accurately with more confidence and with faster follow-up shots.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com