NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
08/12/04 09:40 AM
Re: Is bigger really better?

In reply to:

I have many friends who would agree that size matters.

Oy, young impressionable kiddies might be reading this! They might be scared for life (as we all now the internet is otherwise devoid of anything not nice or shocking ).

The key here is whether the calibre size is important or driving a thinner projectile faster and harder in a longer case.

As always I argue that after a point, increasing calibre (and weight) at a respectable speed is more effective.

As to Erik's question , my personal untested view is once you go beyond .577 calibre, or .500 for that matter, the diminishing returns of recoil and slowness in possibly needed follow-up shots reduces their effectiveness. For the average shooter probably .450 or .a 400 is ideal.

A .375 (or larger bore) will kill small and medium game very quickly, but my belief is larger game simply takes longer to die unless the brain or spine (in the neck) is hit. Increasing the calibre increases the damage by a percentage and also possibly breaks more bones but the animal is just going to take a while to die and blasting away is just going to use up bullets at best and at worst get the animals adrenalin going. This certainly has been the case with ALL the large animals I have shot to date.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com