NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
05/09/12 07:51 PM
Re: 2012 Mozambique Buffalo hunt.

Quote:

.. add $90 each way for add bag allowance (Economy=23kgs per bag).

Good price for an extra bag. Well worth doing it if from Oz.

Quote:

During this time I was involved in assisting the guys in evacuating my good mate Stu Taylor after the terrible accident he was involved in.

When I heard of his accidental shooting, I guessed you might be there at the time. Not a good moment on any safari.

Quote:

41" Buff

The rest of the day was spent recovering the Eland due to the distance from the Toyota and any road.

I like your two old buff bulls and eland. Well done. Do you still bring trophies home? If so, your trophy room must be looking pretty good.

Quote:

The next day I flew on down to the city of Beira and was picked up by “AR” member “Freischuetz” for the long drive up to the Zambezi delta flood plains where I was to be spending the next few days checking the place out and hunting buffalo.

Freischuetz is also a NE member, quite active a while back and last on NE in January. Get him back to join in here. Mozambique is such an interesting safari destination.

Quote:

One morning I was invited for flight over the extensive flood pains, swamps, rivers and palm tree thickets. This was fantastic! To fly 50m above dozens of Elephant, hundreds of buffalo, crocs, hippos, warthog and antelope is an awesome experience.

Sounds like something worth doing one day for sure.

Quote:

One day we were informed of a buffalo that was raiding a local village’s crops so we went out to investigate. The Bull was doing a fine job in pruning the maize plants much to the anger of the local people. We tracked it across a river into some thick jungle then on through and across the river again after being disturbed, then over our tracks and fast over open ground past the fields. As we followed his tracks we found some blood which was a concern. Likely a wound compliments of the villagers, some who lost family killed by a buffalo only a short time before.
With a couple more finishing shots we completed another great hunt and the local people had meet and one less problem.

Good comments. One thing antis never realise is the local people living with wildlife often suffer from the co-existence. Subsistence food crops damaged or destroyed, people injured or killed. Without the benefits of hunting - meat, money, employment, killing of problem animals etc, why protect wildlife at all, and not poach them out of existence? Game photography safaris just don't add up the same level of benefits to local people.

Quote:

Fully expecting him to be within that thickest patch we preceded with care. We found he had indeed bedded there then moved on and across open ground to a small swamp with head high razor grass. We sent one of the trackers around to see if he had passed on through or was still within. The tracker signaled that he was still within the long grass so we moved on in. In the center was a small clearing with some water where he had drank. As we slowly moved on the tracker franticly motioned to the wall of grass. On peering in I could make out his horns and some dark outline at no more than six meters. With this he exploded up to escape only to be hit by a 480grn soft bullet in the front of the shoulder then as he was almost out of site a Solid just above and left of the tail.
As we made our way into the open I found good quantities of blood but no Buff, then with the directions provided by the other tracker we found him in a slight depression off to the left of the swamp.

An exciting hunt.

Thanks for posting and sharing it with us mate.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com