eagle27
(.400 member)
03/09/12 05:32 PM
Re: Stuart Taylor, Kambako - best wishes after shooting accident

Quote:

RULE #1- Gun is always loaded , RULE #2 - FINGER OFF TRIGGER UNTIL SIGHTS ON TARGET !!!!! Read about this event on another forum, the responses made my hair stand on end. I don't think I'll be spending my time on that site anymore. Bottom line the "hunter" screwed up. Damn glad the PH survived. Don't like lawyers very much but in this case PH should sue the crap out of the dude.

Yes and there is a elephant hunt video recently posted on the 'other' forum with an exponent of the double reloading on the trot (to keep up with the PH) looking down often as he struggles to reload and then snaps the double shut all the while the PH right in front and barrels pointing at him or very close to him.
The beauty of the bolt action holding four or more rounds is it can be held pointing at right angles to the body away from anyone in front and reloaded on the run without taking your eyes off the animal or anyone leading in front. Maybe the double can be operated this way too although it is difficult to swing one out to the side while reaching for shells off the belt as most do, and I just don't see it happening that way.
I do not like any firearm being snapped shut or the bolt slammed home while I'm in front unless I have complete faith in the hunter that it is always going to be pointing well to the side.
Bolt up with your crook of the hand holding it from opening any further and a fraction of a second to close and shoot, safest operation ever.

Accidents do seem to happen but it is just absolutely poor and amateurish handling of the firearm and no bloody excuse.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com