mikeh416Rigby
(.450 member)
24/03/03 08:05 AM
Re: What are your favorite memories of Africa?

I just recalled another special memory from Africa. On a Safari in what was then Zululand, I found out that the Zulu staff usually give a Zulu name to the hunting client: something based on their observations of the client, like a peculiarity, habit, or something in their behavior. After about a week of not having a Zulu name bestowed upon me, I asked my PH about it. I thought perhaps I had inadvertantly done something to offend them. He said that he too found it most unusual, and he would try to find out what, if anything, was wrong. It turned out that the staff had a name for me that they were only using among themselves, but they were concerned I'd be offended, and didn't want me to take the name in the wrong vein. I'm a big man-6'3", and 270 pounds. I'm not sure of the spelling, but the name the had given me was "Manitelaiamoto", which literally translated means a big man who makes the car go down. It seems that every morning when we'd get ready to go out hunting, I'd grab hold of the right rear section of the trucks tailgate, put my foot up on the bumper, and haul myself in. Of course when my full weight was put on the bumper, the truck would sag, and the trackers got the biggest kick out of that. Only after my PH told them I wouldn't be upset, did they bestow upon me my Zulu name, which I'll cherish forever.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com