NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/03/03 01:00 AM
Re: What makes a safari better?

Oops forgot to tell the story of "those damned people!"

Simple little story that illustrates the difference from what I regard as a normal hunting camp and what a normal African hunting camp is.

Dantri (BigFive) and I had driven out from Jo'burg North towards the area of the Northern Province near Thabazimbi - not far from the Limpopo.

We had driven on some dirt and gravel roads for some time and had entered the game property and approached the hunting camp. The hunting camp lay beside a water dam with several brick chalets, a dining chalet and the kitchens and staff quarters.

I had been told that I would be exclusively hunting the property though a PH or two might stay while checking out other properties in the area.

Driving towards the buildings circling the dam what do I see but several people come walking out from the dining area, a white fella and a couple of blacks. I thought to myself "Who are these damned people!" But kept it to myself. Getting out - of course you idiot - they are the staff - George the camp manager and chef (yes that is right he is a trained chef) and the two staff (I forget their names for the moment and would need to look up their names- Dantri ? do you remember?).

They greeted us and soon offered hot moist towels and cold beers and soft drinks. And this was the reception EVERY time we arrived at camp for lunch or in the evening or just dropping off game (except one time we sneeked in and caught them offguard). That was also the standard joke everytime we arrived. "Those damned people are here again!"

And that is the difference in most African camps. Good staff and good service. BigFive's camp here was top notch and excellent service. Sit and relax with a cold drink. Maybe a quick shower before a two, three or four course hot and delicious cooked meal. Another drink or two, perhaps a smoke and off to bed contented.

Now if they knew the camps we are usually used to. Arrive at camp perhaps after dark. Cook a tin of canned food with a torch (flashlight) over a fire or a gas burner. If lucky you have a camp fridge and can have freshish food for three or four days and a few cold drinks. Maybe not enough water to wash properly for a week (pew!) in drier places. Sleep not on luxury mattresses but on a bedroll and a sleeping bag sometimes with ants, bugs and snakes for company.

And some blokes want to rough it in Africa? No way if the camp is there make use of it and enjoy.

"Those damned people again!"

So good we needed to take a photo of them.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com