NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/03/03 12:38 AM
Re: How close have you got, or how close has dangerous

Mike

It would be interesting to know just how many tourists get killed or injured in cars, bakkies, buses in Africa each year.

I think it would normally be pretty much hushed up, but out of the three times I have been there, on two trips I heard of vehicles being attacked by game - both elephants.

One time in Amroselli in Kenya where elephants ripped up a Peugot to get at food in the boot. The owners were sleeping only metres away in a dome tent.

The second time was several incidents in Wankie in Zimbabwe where "cheeky" elephants had a go at several tourist cars in the Western part of the park.

I also wondered at viewing lions from very open vehicles. I'm sure most tourists never even consider that the lions sleeping only 20 metres away could effortlessly leap into an open vehicle. Usually trying to think ahead of what to do I thought most people would run screaming in panic so the best strategy would be to "melt" to the floor - just in case if something happened its good to have a plan.

I would think most incidents would occur when some idiot gets out of a vehicle to get a "better picture", but I wonder just if there have been incidents where a cat has taken someone from an open vehicle - not necessarily a tourist, perhaps a worker, hunter, travellor?

Anyone who knows?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com