granhaven
(.224 member)
06/02/12 05:21 AM
Re: When does a caliber become to small for specific species

Having read the thread questions and comments, I would like to add a few words regarding "commercial hunting" and the difference between coming home "empty handed".

I assume that the reason why we go hunting is because of the "Hunting" rather than presenting a trophy on the wall. The art of hunting is exactly this to get close to the animal and have the nerve to wait for the perfect moment. When deciding to shoot, the Hunting is over and making the shoot is the deciding moment that will tell if all the preparations were perfect or not.

Being "over gunned" could tempt to make shoots that were never to be taken if there were not "commercial" aspects of the Hunt, both on the side of the Guide as well as the Hunter.

I have for many years hunted with single shot rifles, and rarely shoot anything at long distance. The trophy is for me little more than a key to the memory of the Hunt, so using another half hour to get close is what creates this special memory that will still be there many years after. When NOT making a shot I frequently have a conversation with myself about "Why didn’t you shoot?" and the answer always boils down to:”I was not ready".
Having said that, I very often take shots where the situation only lasts a few seconds, or even a fraction of a second when an animal presents itself when escaping. The key point here is to anticipate the situation and know the window of opportunity when it is there.

Regarding shoot placement I rarely take a second shot at an animal, simply because I know where it was hit and a good heart & lung shot will never take the animal down unless you break bones.

I do intend to go to Africa to find a reasonable Cape Buffalo, and I really hope that I will have the time needed to get close and await the perfect moment or come back a second time, after all I won't be there to kill a Buffalo but to Hunt one.

Best regards, Peter

Contact Us NitroExpress.com