NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
31/01/12 05:32 AM
Re: When does a caliber become to small for specific species

Lars

I shot my eland with a .30-06 too, one shot plus one. The second one was just an insurance shot to make sure on an animal hard hit already, heart shot it turned out to be. Was an angling shot from behind on a walking bull. The second was from closer range broadside on an animal standing there very sick. It only walked a few metres after being shot.

Another PH in the camp also claimed a .30-06 wasn't enough and Wayne my PH wanted to prove the clown wrong. He was a clown for other reasons, like not knowing a cape buffalo shoulder mount on the wall wasn't a bull but a cow ...

Our friend here on NE Erik also loaned me his 7x64 for the moose hunt in Norway. Again a one shot kill.

Both times perhaps adequate calibres, a little more would add a little more insurance.

On another subject I think using very light bullets in a calibre for game sized well above their normal usage is not wise. Can be done with very careful accurate shooting. But less margin for error. More chance of deflection IMO. The heavy for calibre bullets in theory should penetrate better and less deflection if bone is hit. JMO.

Also if hunting on safari, why risk not being able to take a shot, because the angle is not perfect, the only shots possible are less than ideal. The little extra can make a difference between going home successful or going home empty handed. And even worse, going home with a wounded animal lost in the bush and not recovered.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com