DarylS
(.700 member)
17/01/12 03:43 AM
Re: When does a caliber become to small for specific species

Quote:

I never got to fire a shot at an Eland but my PH said "why didn't you bring a real gun" (I had my 338-06 loaded with 200 grain Accubonds) to which I said "what is a real gun" to which he said "a 375H&H,the last three Eland shot here are still out there somewhere".

A 30-06,7mm mag and a 338 Win mag were the rifles.

I have always liked big bullets, large calibres for the game hunted. I've never hunted Africa and probably never will. It is just too expensive and I'd rather hunt Australia with friends here.

The reason for quoting FatBoy404's post, is that similar things have happened here on moose and with the same calibers he notes, 30/06, 7 mag, .338 and I can add .300 Win Mag and .300 WTBY mag.

No - we didn't lose the moose due to a pair of incredible Austrian tracking hounds and no, I am not saying moose are the same as Eland, but wounded game is wounded game. Some do react differently to others.

I am saying that there are people with much more money than shooting talent and therein lies the rub - would they have not wounded the Eland with an even harder kicking .375 - you bet they would, in my opinion. I've been seeing similar hunters over the 30 years span of time I was guiding, then again, sometimes it just goes wrong, terribly wrong.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com