Powdersmoke
(.224 member)
16/01/12 07:23 PM
Re: SA hunter pays $120,000 for rhino hunt

I don't post here very often, but I read religiously, but I had to comment on this one, and try and shed some light. This will NOT be a canned hunt, this animal will either be hunted in Hluhluwe Imfolozi, or Mkuze reserve (national park, these are massive areas of land, not farms.) Every year Ezemvel Kzn Wildlife auctions animals at an annual auction (either live, or hunt packages)in May, this has been happening for about 35 years, and is nothing new. Both of these reserves were influential in saving the white rhino from extinction. We are now reaching the point in South Africa where the available saleable rhino outnumber the areas that they can be relocated to. In my humble opinion, there is nothing wrong with hunting WILD rhino in areas that the carrying capacity can no longer carry them, in fact, quite the reverse, it puts much needed funds back into conservation in this country, much of which allows overseas hunters to hunt high quality animals here in South Africa, a lot of the trophy animals that are hunted in this country are bred from stock bought from National Parks. This is not a dig at anybody on the forum, but after reading a few articles on canned hunting, the whole country seems to get painted with the same brush. Those of you that have hunted here, know that this is not the case, those of you that haven't, please do not draw conclusions from a few random articles, hunting practices here have had a bad rap from this type of thing, we as hunters HATE (this is a strong word that I am using to make my point) this type of hunting set up, and believe me when I tell you that the vast majority of ethical hunters here frown on this practice as much as you all do.

Regards.

Powdersmoke

Contact Us NitroExpress.com