tophet1
(.400 member)
14/01/12 10:14 AM
Re: SA hunter pays N$1 million for rhino hunt

Quote:

It has been on television in Sweden last week of South african hunting. Fences, hunting for Rhinos in small fenced areas, they breed Lions to have black manes, I donīt know if that is the correct word, but black hair. Many people with money wants to shoot a Lion, but they donīt want to do i the correct way with a real hunt. They shoot them in a fence!!! If that I saw is correct I will never buy a hunt in South Africa.

//S

There is a huge ethical debate about lion hunting in South Africa. The Lion breeding industry has been tainted with allegations ( and fact ) about same-day release and drugging of lions prior to being shot. This would not exist without the demand so if there is any fault, I believe it belongs at the feet of those who have no morals and are happy to pay big bucks for such a lion and then claim it as a 'trophy'. It however is a two edged sword. Cut the demand and the supply will go, along with the genetic diversity and preservation of habitat.

Fences in South Africa and many countrys also serve the purpose of keeping poachers and hungry civilians out of hunting ranches and concessions. Any fenced area, no matter how large, will need fresh genetics eventually and there is a degree of management and intervention in this.

I have hunted fenced areas on foot in Africa for cull animals in self sustaining, managed populations and it is some of the hardest hunting I have done.

RE: Rhinos. I have stated here before, if I had the money I would have no problem shooting a fenced Rhino. Hunting is still the most cost effective way to protect a species no matter how we compromise our ethics. Just be honest about how you did it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com