9.3x57
(.450 member)
30/11/11 12:14 AM
Re: DGX Performance on my Buff

If I remember correctly the DGX is merely a copper-washed steel jacketed bullet. Has a corelock of some sort, likely a similar lock to the Interlock but that bullet has never been known to stay together like a TSX or something anyhow.

Also, I believe the Interbond is defunct. Sad, as the ones I tested DID stay together.

Now, Hornady seems to have a goal of providing bullets at affordable prices, and they work well for 99% of the uses for which they are tossed. Personally, I like that, because overall I consider them the best bullet makers in the business due to the value and overall performance of the bullets they make. And, because I have utter confidence in them based on pre-hunt testing of their bullets. My opinion has swayed fore and aft a bit but I keep coming back to this.

Like tophet, I, too, am no big fan of the "always-stays-together" mantra we here promoted by the 3-Dollar Bullet Makers. That is, on the game we shoot, which is of course small compared to the buff here.

Having said that, in the case of the super-heavy game, and let's include buff, elephant and big grizzly/Kodiaks in there, too, a premium bullet seems to make sense, even if it might not kill as fast as a jacket-shedder...

Did I say that?

Of course, there are always FMJ's and true solids.

IIRC, I THINK {call Horny on this} that the DGX is supposed to regulate same as the Horny FMJ, which means it probably doesn't, but might be worth a chance. Antlers did you ever try the two in your rifle?

I've never tested the DGX, but Antlers, in the future, a very simple test can be set up to screen bullets before you stick them into a big critter. Testing works, and compared with a known good performer, is or can be incredibly revealing and sometimes embarrassingly shocking... Due to the dubious veracity of much Madison Avenue hype from the bullet makers, I will not hunt with a bullet I haven't tested first. For me that has screened some fracturous and worthless pills, but has also saved me a lot of $$ in demonstrating the absolutely LACK of need for so-called "Premium" bullets for my uses {deer, elk, bear}.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com