EricD
(.416 member)
10/09/04 03:01 AM
Re: Tanzania pictures (updated)

John,

Internally, behind the front seats (we had no rear seats), we used Zarges aluminium dust proof boxes to store cloths, tools, dry foods, various equipment etc. All in all we had 7 large Zarges boxs, 4 smaller Zarges boxs, 5 x 20 liter plastic water jerrycans, 5 x 20 liter diesel jerry cans, a 20 liter jerrycan of motor oil, an Engel 30 liter fridge, and 11 kilo fiberglass propane bottle, plus a few soft backpacks which we used when hiking, shopping etc. We also made 3 netting hammocks that hung from one side to the other. These were used to store veggies/fruit or other simular things that needed to breath. One of the other ones was fastend right behind us, and used to keep various often used things, like a camera, maps that were in use, binos, and snacks when we had them...
In the lockable cubby box between the front seats we kept things like our passports, vehicle documents and other valubles. The biggest problem was stashing money for such a long period of time. Let me just say that you just about had to be a LR mechanic to find the hiding places

All the gear in the rear was fastend with rachet straps to rings bolted thru the floor, which was very important for the off road driving conditions we often had. It would have been suicide to not have everything bolted down.

We could in an emergency sleep in the back ontop of the caes, and did so in a terrible sandstorm in Mauritania. The down side was that it only gave us a little over a foot of space up to the ceiling, and was quite hot... Next time (most likely by myself), I'm going to skip the roof top tent, which was nice for us travelling as a couple, and do the sleeping set up differently. I'd leave a lot of un-needed stuff, which we found out during the trip was just a waste of space, and added weight, and then I'd build a sleeping platform inside the car, with the possiblity to sleep on the roof rack with just a mozzy net. Basically, my needs alone are a little bit more basic then when with my wife (even though her needs were more basic than 99.9% of the western population!).

Erik D.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com