bonanza
(.400 member)
18/09/11 03:37 AM
Back from Afrika!

Heh heh gang,

I've returned from my plains game safari and what a hell of a time! The journey to SA went quite smoothly and thumbs-up to SAA. A hop to Polokwane where I was met by the PH, an hour later Lisa and I were settling in the luxury chalet overlooking 10,000 acres of bushveld, a mountain sunset with a gin and tonic, priceless.

The second day was purely decompression and unwinding; I had no desire to go hunting jet-lagged. I did however check my rifles at 100 yards. The higher altitude 5000 feet caused my .376 Steyr to shoot 2" high.

I began by telling the PH that my hunt will be strictly on foot and no shots over 100 yards so I can use my DR.

My first species was an Impala at 90+ yards with my .35 Win DR. I wounded him, but about 1 mile latter was dropped at 30 yards.

Next was a huge Eland at 82 yards with the .367 Steyr. We got down wind and behind lots of brush. The PH said it's the second time this year he's seen that old bull. It was nearly 30 seconds until I got a shot, he went about 20 yards and laid down. The PH told to shot again but not rush in. I crawled 30 feet and put the final bullet in. He weighed 770 lbs in the meat freezer.

I then shot a jewelry hog at 60 yards with the .35 Win DR. We got the tusks that will make fine necklaces.

My final game was a Blue Wildebeest. It also was the most amazing hunt of my life. I specified to the PH with three days remaining a bull Gnu taken on foot with my DR or nothing. On the third day after chasing a small heard with bad wind we worked our way towards a watering hole and caught one beading down. Only his horns could be seen and the PH turned to me and whispered "You will have to do a solo hunt or he will run". With my H&H double rifle in my left hand I slooowly crawled 30 feet to a bush below the grass level. I was being shredded by thorns but felt nothing. By the time I positioned my rifle the Gnu stood up. This was going to be it; the moment-of-truth. I had to make this shot. Bang! Of he goes and the chase dog in tow. I start after him, reload and the PH says "Settle down, you hit him." He sends my on my solo hunt. I catch up cock both hammers, find cover and take the first shot. I hit a limb or something, he takes a few steps I stand, pull the second trigger - he drops.

The PH says that was one of the best stalks he has been on for some time. I have successfully hunted Africa with a 115 year old Holland and Holland double rifle. It does not get much better.

I will have pictures in a week or so after I get the filmed developed and scanned.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com