CHAPUISARMES
(.416 member)
29/08/11 07:27 PM
Re: The Last Day Kudu

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the kind wishes and comments. Although the .375H&H was ready for action, something that Fatboy404 said before I left came to reality, that is, 'Don't try and plan what rifle will be used on which animal' and he was correct.

I was going to use the .375H&H on the Zebra, Kudu and Wildebeest but as the hunting Gods (and Neale) will tell you, all does not always go to YOUR pre made plans and in all but one case the 30.06 was in my hands when the trophy was selected whilst I was after other game.

Although you can not see the spot, the Kudu was also a shoulder shot again with the 30.06 using the 180gn TSX ahead of 52gns of AR2209 so I guess the short answer was no, the .375H&H was not 'Blooded' this time.

It is very hard to pick which trophy is my personal best but I wanted a good representative example of various African Plains Game and the selection I made was what I felt would allow this unfortunately there were no Warthog in the areas which would have rounded it out for me.

The Waterbuck was very old and has nice thick bases although only 24" the Gemsbok was 33 1/2" the Eastern Cape Kudu 45" but the old Black Wildebeest and I mean old was 24 1/2" the remainder were.:

Duiker 5"
Blue Wildebeest 24 6/8"
Sprinkbok 13 1/2"
Black Springbok 10"
Impala 21 1/2"

So as you can see, you expert craftsmanship paid dividends and although these measurements were taken on 'Green' trophies they should be close and was taken by my Taxidermist, Cecil Henning of Umlindi Taxidermy.

So there you are and hopefully I may be lucky enough to 'Squeeze' in another trip to Africa, God and Finances willing before I croak it.

I will send some photos of "Father" and "Son" which were taken by Les O'Rourke for your customer "Brag" book shortly.

Until Then,

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

Contact Us NitroExpress.com